Clan of the Cat     |     home
Site Index   |   Early Clan History   |   History   |   History Cont.   |   Yet Another Version   |   Mackintosh Chiefs   |   Sept Clans of MacKintosh   |   MacKintosh Battles   |   MacKintosh of Glenshee   |   Dalmunzie MacKintoshes   |   MacKintosh of Ballachraggan   |   MacKintosh of Finegand   |   MacKintosh of Cams   |   MacThomas-Mackintosh's   |   McCombie-Mackintosh's   |   Mackintoshs of Atholl   |   MacKintosh of Kyllachy   |   McIntosh of Holm   |   Mackintosh of Farr   |   Mackintosh of Dunkeld   |   McIntosh in NA.   |   Mackintosh Provosts   |   Col Anne MacKintosh   |   Chief Wm. McIntosh   |   Charles Rennie Mackintosh   |   Charles Macintosh Inventor   |   Wm Mackintosh of Borlum   |   John Mohr Mackintosh   |   Gen. Lachlan Mackintosh   |   Ewart Alan Mackintosh   |   Robert Mackintosh   |   Sir James Mackintosh 1765   |   Donald McIntosh   |   Clan Chattan   |   Clan Shaw   |   Tartans   |   Arms & Clan Crest   |   Books about Mackintosh   |   Clan MacKintosh NA   |   Related Links   |   Web Awards

Donald McIntosh
Member of Custer's 7th Calvary and participant in the Battle of Little Big Horn

Donald McIntosh was born in Montreal, Quebec in Canada, the son of James (John) and Charlotte Robinson McIntosh (she was a direct descendant of Red Jacket, a chief of the Six Nations). His father, part of the famed Hudson's Bay Company, was killed by Indians when Donald was 14. Young McIntosh lived in various posts of the Hudson's Bay Company and later in Fort Vancouver, Washington before moving to Oregon City in 1851 and Portland, Oregon

McIntosh married Mary (Molly) Garrett on October 30, 1866 in Baltimore, Maryland. He was appointed as Second Lieutenant in the 7th U. S. Cavalry, on August 17, 1867, and was promoted to First Lieutenant on March 22, 1870. In the absence of the company commander, Custer assigned McIntosh to command Company G for the 1876 summer expedition from Fort Abraham Lincoln.

During the early stages of the Battle for Little Big Horn along the Little Big Horn River, Marcus Albert Reno took three companies of cavalry and swung through the river valley in an effort to attack the Indian village, while Custer headed off to attack the sprawling camp from the rear. Reno's attack met with initial resistance, and he ordered his troops to dismount and form a skirmish line across the valley flats for about 15 minutes. Not making any headway, he retreated with his men into a stand of timber along the river, where they formed a defensive perimeter. Shortly after the sudden death of his scout Bloody Knife, Reno lost control of the tactical situation. He ordered a desperate withdrawal back across the river onto the bluffs. G Company was among the last to leave the timber. Indians knocked McIntosh from his horse and quickly killed him. His badly mutilated body was recovered two days later when a relief column arrived.

His body was originally buried where he fell. They were exhumed in July 1877 and re-interred the following month in Fort Leavenworth National Cemetery. In 1909, the remains were disinterred and shipped to Arlington National Cemetery for permanent burial in Section 1. His widow received a pension of $30 per month until her death on May 12, 1910, when she was buried with him. McIntosh's brother-in-law, Francis M. Gibson (who survived the Little Big Horn fight) is buried nearby.

In the summer of 1995, a finger bone with a ring was dug up on the site of Reno's battle near McIntosh's memorial marker. The ring was identified as McIntosh's wedding band by the inscribed initials of the slain officer and his wife, and the date of their wedding. It now is in a private museum in Garryowen, Montana.