Clan of the Cat     |     home
Site Index   |   Early Clan History   |   History   |   History Cont.   |   Yet Another Version   |   Mackintosh Chiefs   |   Sept Clans of MacKintosh   |   MacKintosh Battles   |   MacKintosh of Glenshee   |   Dalmunzie MacKintoshes   |   MacKintosh of Ballachraggan   |   MacKintosh of Finegand   |   MacKintosh of Cams   |   MacThomas-Mackintosh's   |   McCombie-Mackintosh's   |   Mackintoshs of Atholl   |   MacKintosh of Kyllachy   |   McIntosh of Holm   |   Mackintosh of Farr   |   Mackintosh of Dunkeld   |   McIntosh in NA.   |   Mackintosh Provosts   |   Col Anne MacKintosh   |   Chief Wm. McIntosh   |   Charles Rennie Mackintosh   |   Charles Macintosh Inventor   |   Wm Mackintosh of Borlum   |   John Mohr Mackintosh   |   Gen. Lachlan Mackintosh   |   Ewart Alan Mackintosh   |   Robert Mackintosh   |   Sir James Mackintosh 1765   |   Donald McIntosh   |   Clan Chattan   |   Clan Shaw   |   Tartans   |   Arms & Clan Crest   |   Books about Mackintosh   |   Clan MacKintosh NA   |   Related Links   |   Web Awards

Gen. Lachlan Mackintosh

General Lachlan McIntosh, Son of John Mohr Mackintosh/McIntosh

Born in Raits, Badenoch, Scotland, General Lachlan McIntosh was the son of John Mohr McIntosh, the head of the McIntosh clan.  He arrived in Georgia with Oglethorpe's party. (Oglethorpe designed the city of Savannah). McIntosh’s father, John Mohr McIntosh, moved the family to a Province of Georgia in 1736 with a group of Scottish settlers founding the town of New Inverness (now Darien, Georgia ). His education was somewhat neglected due to the move from Scotland, but Oglethorpe gave him assistance in mathematics and he developed a good education through his own efforts.

Badenoch is a traditional district which today forms part of Badenoch and Strathspey, an area of Highland Council, in Scotland, bounded on the north by the Monadhliath Mountains, on the east by the Cairngorm Mountains and Braemar, on the south by Atholl and the Grampian Mountains , and on the west by Lochaber Scotland

Georgia was a highly militarized colony and clashes with neighboring Spanish Florida and its fortress city of St. Augustine were common. In one of these clashes in 1740, Lachlan’s father was captured by the Spanish and held prisoner for two years. The elder McIntosh was eventually released, but his health had deteriorated during his captivity and he died a few years later.

McIntosh was sent to the Bethesda Orphanage in Savannah under the care of famous evangelist George Whitefield.He spent two years at the orphanage before traveling to Fort Frederica to serve as a military cadet. During this time, the Jacobite Rebellion broke out in Scotland. Lachlan and his brother William planned to travel to Scotland and join the rebellion, but General ames Oglethorpe who had become a friend and mentor to the young McIntosh, convinced them to remain in Georgia.

Lachlan's brother William has sometimes been confused with another William McIntosh of the Creek Nation, who is actually Lachlan and William McIntosh's cousin. The half Creek, half white leader William MacIntosh was the son of Capt. William MacIntosh, a Tory in the Rev. War., who was the son of Capt. John MacIntosh. This John MacIntosh, along with his brother Roderick, had come with John Mohr MacIntosh from Scotland. Confusion about the names stems from the fact that on the ship "The Prince of Wales" there had been at least five males named John MacIntosh in one form or another.

See also the page Chief Wm. McIntosh

Lachlan McIntosh eventually decided to enter business life and he moved to Charleston, South Carolina. There he was fortunate to find a position in the counting-house of Henry Laurens, who eventually became a very good friend. Laurens wielded an unusual influence upon the maturing life of Lachlan McIntosh. Through Laurens, he had a real knowledge of British policies and came to realize the policies were definitely restrictive and coercive. His military heritage led him to study military science, so when the Revolutionary War broke out, McIntosh was ready to do his part for the colonial cause.
Sometime before the revolution began, McIntosh returned to Georgia, where he secured land and became a surveyor. McIntosh was selected as a delegate from the parish of St. Andrew for the Provincial Congress in 1775, held in Savannah. On January 7, 1776, he was appointed Colonel of Georgia troops and in September 1776, he was elected Brigadier General of the Continental troops of Georgia.

Another leader in Georgia in the meantime, Button Gwinnett, was sent to the Continental Congress at the time of the adoption of the Declaration of Independence. Button Gwinnett was one of the signers of the document. In the fall of 1776, Georgia drew up a constitution and it was adopted early in 1777. Gwinnett was later made Chairman of the Council, giving him unusual power and executive prestige. As a Brigadier General of the Continental Army, McIntosh had military powers which Gwinnett could not overrule. Unfortunately, Gwinnett tried to restrict and delay plans of McIntosh, irritating him whenever possible. McIntosh finally lost all patience, denounced him and challenged him to a duel. In the duel that followed, each man was wounded. McIntosh recovered, but Gwinnett died. Gwinnett's friends charged McIntosh with murder and he was brought to trial. In the trial that followed, McIntosh was acquitted. However, the unfortunate situation divided the ranks of patriots in Georgia...and under these circumstances, influential friends secured the transfer of General McIntosh to General Washington's headquarters, accepted by McIntosh to keep the ranks of patriots united in Georgia.

At Valley Forge, Washington appointed General McIntosh the command of the North Carolina Brigade. According to General Weedon's Valley Forge Orderly Book, beginning on December 27, McIntosh is appointed a Brigadier for the day and is so appointed a successive fourteen times during the encampment. On January 30, 1778, General Washington gave a report on the result of a General Court martial held on January 23, when a soldier of the artillery was tried for desertion and stealing a horse from General McIntosh. The soldier was acquitted of the desertion charges, but found guilty of theft and was sentenced to receive 100 lashes on his back and have "half his pay stopped monthly until General McIntosh is fully satisfied".

May 26, 1778, Washington wrote a letter to McIntosh which ended his service at Valley Forge: "The Congress having been pleased to direct me to appoint an officer to command at Fort Pitt, and on the western frontiers in the room, of Brigadier-General Hand, I am indeed, but not without reluctance, from the sense I entertain of your merit, to nominate you, as an officer well qualified from a variety of considerations to answer the object they have in view, I do not know particularly what the objects are, which Congress have in contemplation in the command; and I therefore request that you will, as soon as you conveniently repair to Yorktown and receive their instructions respecting them. I have only to add, that I shall be happy to hear from you as often as opportunity will permit and my warmest wishes, that your service may be favourable to yourself and approved by your country, I am, Sir, with great esteem and regards, your most obedient servant."

After conferring with Congress, McIntosh proceeded to Fort Pitt. Congress sent three commissioners from York (Pennsylvania) to confer with McIntosh concerning the advisability of organizing an expedition against Detroit to destroy the British power in that area as well as break Indian raids between Detroit and Fort Pitt. McIntosh lacked the men to carry on such an expedition, but felt confident that he could raise forces from the frontier area. He needed money and equipment and Congress decided they just could not afford the expense.
A fort was built at the mouth of Beaver Creek at Beavertown. It was named Fort McIntosh by its French engineer, Chevalier DeCambray, who was in charge of the artillery at Fort Pitt. McIntosh marched into the Sandusky area and built another fort, Fort Laurens, named in honor of the President of the Continental Congress. He established a garrison of about one-hundred and fifty men under the command of Colonel John Gibson. McIntosh returned to Fort Pitt and remained in command until May 18, 1779 when he was ordered south to participate in a campaign to recapture Savannah.

Late in 1778, the British sent an expedition from New York to the south in order to capture Savannah and destroy the American cause in Georgia. Two days before Christmas, the British appeared before Savannah. The American forces were composed of Continental soldiers and untrained militia under General Robert Howe. When the British attacked, the militia fled and the Continentals were forced to retreat. Savannah was captured.

The citizens of Georgia resolved to recapture Savannah. Congress promised such assistance as it was possible to give. In the early fall of 1779, General McIntosh was to have an important part. The French also offered assistance. In September, Count D'Estaing appeared off the coast with a fleet of twenty ships of the line and eleven frigates...and six thousand French soldiers. D'Estaing had defeated the British in the West Indies, freeing them to aid the Americans. General Lincoln was in command of the American forces, and the he and D'Estaing arranged for immediate attack on Savannah. General McIntosh and Count Casimir Pulaski were sent in with their forces in advance of the main army under Lincoln. On September 16, D'Estaing demanded an unconditional surrender of the British forces. The British commander demanded a truce until the following day and D'Estaing agreed. Lincoln protested when he heard of his actions, but by then, it was too late. During the truce, the British fortified and prepared for attack. Also, the British were aided by the arrival of reinforcements who eluded detection under cover of heavy fog. The British sent out a note to D'Estaing in which was stated they would not surrender.

The French and Americans prepared for attack. On October 4, a terrific bombardment began, and they were well on the way to a victory. D'Estaing became impatient when he heard it would take at least ten days more to capture the city without too much loss of life. He also feared the possibility of the British fleet attack on sea, placing them in a serious situation. He resolved to destroy the British by attack and renewed the bombardment. Lincoln could do nothing but agree. After an unusually heavy bombardment and under cover of fog, the French forces led by D'Estaing in person, aided by Lincoln went in for the attack. Additional forces were led by McIntosh, Hughes and Pulaski. In the foray, both D'Estaing and Pulaski were wounded. Pulaski was taken aboard the United States ship, Wasp. He died and was buried on St. Helena Island, about fifty miles from Savannah.

As a result of the fighting, D'Estaing asked for a truce to bury the dead. The British gave four hours. D'Estaing and Lincoln held a conference where D'Estaing resolved to abandon the seige and sail away. Lincoln protested, but D'Estaing carried out his plans. Lincoln ordered his troops to his men to march to Charleston, South Carolina and McIntosh was ordered to follow.

Realizing that the capture of Savannah would lead to British attack upon Charleston, the Americans headed there. Lincoln's army had been reduced to a small force, as the term of enlistments had expired and the militia felt the service was in vain. McIntosh, however, endeavored to keep the spark of liberty alive. He was able to build up a sizable force through the inspiration of his own example. Lincoln and McIntosh were determined to protect the city. On April 9, 1780, the British fleet moved forward, pass the fire from Fort Moultrie and anchored cannon within range of Charleston. Supplies were low and the financial situation in Charleston was very poor. A forty day struggle ensued, and finally, due to the shortage of provisions and no additional troops aiding them, Lincoln agreed to a surrender. The British took possession of the city on May 12, 1780. McIntosh was taken prisoner and was not exchanged until February 9, 1782. His confinement undermined his health and he was not in robust condition for the rest of his life.

When the British withdrew from Savannah in 1782, Governor Martin of Georgia called a meeting of the state legislature which met in the house of General McIntosh, August 1782, for the reorganization of the civil authority of the state. Eventually, McIntosh returned to his Georgia estate. In 1783 he was made a Major-general. He became a member of the Society of the Cincinnati in 1784. He was elected to Congress in 1784, also, by his constituents at home. He was also appointed to help organize a treaty with the Indians that occupied the western part of Georgia.
McIntosh was a member of the committee that welcomed George Washington to Savannah in 1791. He continued to aid the state of Georgia in many ways throughout the rest of his lifetime, until his death February 20, 1806. He is buried in the Colonial Cemetery in Savannah.

Abridged from the article by Charles William Heathcote, Ph.D., S.T.D., "General Lachlan McIntosh: Loyal American and Friend of Washington", The Picket Post, February 1957, published by The Valley Forge Historical Society.

Born: 17-Mar-1725
Birthplace: Raits, Badenoch, Scotland
Died: 20-Feb-1806
Location of death: Savannah, GA
Cause of death: unspecified
Remains: Buried, Colonial Cemetery, Savannah, GA
Occupation: Military
Nationality: United States
Executive summary: Killed Button Gwinnett in a duel, was pardoned, afterward assigned to Valley Forge
Military service: Continental Army (Major General)

Father: John Mohr McIntosh (b. 1701)
Brother: William McIntosh
Brother: George McIntosh
Sister: Anne McIntosh
Brother: Lewis (d. 1737, alligator attack)

Wife: Sarah Threadcraft (m. 1756)
Son: John McIntosh (b. 1757)
Daughter: Catherine (d. 25-May-1815)
Son: William McIntosh
Son: Lachlan McIntosh Jr.

Lachlan was perhaps the most famous Georgian of the American Revolution Era, having killed a signer of the Declaration of Independence (Button Gwinnett) in a duel in the area of Savannah less than a year after the signing of the document.
Lachlan McIntosh was a politically conservative leader in Georgia at a time when the state was deeply divided. Opposing him was Button Gwinnett. Repeatedly Gwinnett and McIntosh clashed over essentially trivial matters until Gwinnett was elected the leader of the executive branch of the government while McIntosh was put in charge of the troops.

While on the Second Florida Expedition the feud boiled over and Gwinnett and McIntosh returned to Savannah, where Gwinnett challenged him to a duel. The Scotsman severely wounded Gwinnett, who died three days later.
Luckily, McIntosh was a commander in the Continental Army and to preserve peace in Georgia, General George Washington ordered McIntosh to report for reassignment just as Gwinnett's political buddies were preparing to arrest him on a murder charge. After serving at Valley Forge during the Winter of 1777-1778 he was sent west to command Fort Pitt (now Pittsburg) on the frontier.

He returned to Georgia to during the battle of Savannah (1779). Failing to liberate the city McIntosh and Lincoln moved northeast to Charleston, to defend the port from British attack. When that city fell on May 12, 1780, McIntosh was taken prisoner.

After the war he continued to play a role in Georgia history and government, and greeted President Washington when he arrived in Savannah in 1791

McIntosh died in Savannah on February 20, 1806. The state of Georgia named McIntosh County, Georgia in honor of his family. McIntosh is buried alongside his great-nephew Colonel James S. McIntosh (1784-1847) at Colonial Park in Savannah's historic district. His great-great-nephews, James M. McIntosh who, was a career United States soldier who served as a Brigadier General in the Confederate States Army during the American Civil War and John Baillie McIntosh who, although was born in Florida, served as a Union Army Brigadier general in the American Civil War. His brother, James M. McIntosh, served as a Confederate general until he was killed in the Battle of Pea Ridge.

McIntosh County is a county located in the U.S. state of Georgia . It is part of the Brunswick, Georgia metropolitan area' which encompasses all of McIntosh, Glynn County, Georgia, and Brantley County, Georgia.